Hypnosis for Childbirth
“In no other animal species is the process of birth associated with any suffering, pain or agony except where pathology exists, or in an unnatural state, such as captivity.” — Dr Grantly Dick-Reid, British obstetrician
“Childbirth is a normal natural healthy function for women. As such, birth can be accomplished gently and calmly for a large number (95%) of women.” —Marie Mongan (HypnoBirthing Programme)
Hypnosis has become well known for helping mothers give birth comfortably, without fear and without unnecessary medical intervention. I offer a 4-session antenatal preparation course, normally starting at week 30, in which you are taught deep relaxation, pain control and other powerful techniques so you feel calm and in control throughout the birthing process.
Hypnosis for childbirth
- promotes a natural, comfortable and easy birth
- promotes a sense of calm throughout the process
- eliminates the fear-tension-pain cycle
- has been shown to shorten the first stage of labour
- reduces the need for chemical anaesthesia and painkillers
- helps eliminate fatigue during labour
- promotes special bonding between mother, father and child (starting in the womb)
- can eliminate depression before and after the birth
- encourages you to tune into your natural birthing instincts
As a result
- the birthing process can be a beautiful and peaceful experience
- babies tend to be better adjusted and calmer
- post-natal recovery is rapid and easier
- there are fewer breech babies, c-sections and other problems
Childbirth without Fear
Fear and tension produce chemicals in the body which hinder the birthing process. Although women are designed to give birth comfortably and naturally, many women today are full of fear and negative preconceptions. Giving birth should and can be a blissful and wonderful experience for mother and child, rather than a traumatic one.
The combination of easy-to-learn breathing techniques, deep relaxation and visualisation exercises combined with positive thoughts and language, reduces stress, anxiety and fear and therefore pain. Labour does not have to be painful.
Fear and tension prevents the birthing muscles of your body from functioning as nature intended. When we are afraid, our body goes into fight or flight mode. Blood and oxygen are diverted to essential organs and away from the uterus which, as a result, cannot perform its function without pain. When a woman is calm and relaxed, the uterine muscles are not starved of vital blood and oxygen and are free to work painlessly, like any other muscle in the body. Hypnosis helps you overcome fears and experience birth in an atmosphere of calm and relaxation.
It is well established that:
- large numbers of women can give birth comfortably with minimal pain, and that relaxation is key
- your body’s own anaesthesia is 200 times more powerful than morphine
- women in less developed cultures do not experience pain during childbirth
- I offer an initial consultation, which usually takes place at 30 weeks, with both mother and birthing partner, to discuss needs and draw up a birthing plan. This is followed by 3 individual hypnotherapy sessions at weekly intervals for the mother.
- I provide you with 3 CDs: General Relaxation (to listen to every day), Childbirth (to reduce anxiety and fear) and Labour (to be played during labour only).
- I teach you self-hypnosis, relaxation, deep-breathing and visualisation techniques.
I cannot promise you a pain-free birth and you may still require a c-section, an epidural or medical intervention, but statistics show that with hypnosis, the birthing experience is much more comfortable, you will remain calmer and you will require less medical intervention.
Contact Jane de Beers today for a FREE consultation or with any enquiries you may have.
You can e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org call : 06 08 52 59 16
or use the form on the contact page.